Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MUSLIMS ARE OUR FELLOW AMERICANS - SAYS MY FELLOW AMERICAN NETWORK:


Amal Abdelfattah.
One of my most astonishing memories is when I lived in Jordan for two years away from my immediate family. I attended an Islāmic, girls-only school, Bait Al-Maqdes, in Amman, Jordan. There, I studied my eighth and ninth grade years with my cousin, whose family gave me the pleasure of living with them during that time. My Arabic was not all that bad; my Islāmic knowledge, however, was very limited.

My classmates, as well as every other girl in the school, were extremely kind and respectful. Within no time, I adapted to the environment around me and began making friends. The students were aware of the fact that I was behind on subjects being taught in the school, so a lot of them reached out to help, especially on interpreting the basics of Islam into my daily life.

I, nevertheless, met one of the most admirable students who has become a true friend and sister in Islam. She was Hafizat al-Quran, which means she’d had most or the entire book of the Quran committed to memory. She was raised in a religiously influenced family and dedicated her time and her education to God . Each time her and I hung out, she’d teach me more and more about the religion. She would help me refrain from doing wrong such as listening to music, disrespecting the elderly, especially my parents, talking to male friends, etc. As opposed to being tedious and what not, she taught Islam in a fun way; we would laugh and she would tell me interesting stories of the prophet (pbuh) and people who were part of his life. In addition, when I was indifferent about committing an act religiously unaccepted, such as refraining from the act of wearing the hijab, she would mention Hadiths (authentic sayings of prophet Mohammed pbuh) explaining its significance.
“The hijab is a protection for women,” she’d say. She also mentioned how we can ask God for anything we ever wanted. I don’t exactly remember how I asked this, but I noticed many people, while praying, would stay in sujood (prostration) for a while. I asked her why that is and she said, “They’re asking God to grant them their wishes and needs.” “You’re closest to God when you’re in sujood,” she added. I was amazed.
I began increasing my prayers and strengthening my faith. In comparison to how I reacted towards Islam before, it was as if I had become a totally different person. I, like many people today, perceived Islam as being a form of oppression and such. Thankfully, I am now a transformed person. I now realize the meaning of a true friend, a person who loves you for the sake of God. Once in a “goodbye” letter, she’s written to me, “May we meet each other again in Al-Firdous Al-Aala (highest level of paradise).” Praise God for the blessing of a righteous friend........ Amal Abdelfattah.



Ali Gail
"I was raised in a tolerant Southern Baptist family in Arkansas; however, all religious resources (Church parishioners, leaders, and all information given to me) were very intolerant. I actually got into an argument with my pastor about different religions and if we should be accepting of them. After that I quit going to church knowing that I could know God better without people who were by their own choice blind to what He really is. I began taking classes on world religion and eventually started my Bachelors Degree in Religion.
 After learning about all the major religious movements I just became drawn to Islam. Three years after that initial class I reverted to Islam. Although I do not wear hijab everyday, I do wear it very often. Because I am white, no one assumes that I am Muslim until they see me wearing it. I get mixed reactions. I have been praised, and I have been ignored. It once took me 10 minutes to get someone to check me out at a gas station with food service. There were two attendants who ignored me until I went up and demanded someone take my money. They gave me pork when I asked for beef (short of slaughtering my own meat, I have no way to eat halal meat).

I was born American and will always be American. I just wish other Americans would understand that I don’t want America to turn into the Middle East. I love my culture and my customs. I don’t want Sharia law. Nothing in my life changed other than being happy and at peace."..........Ali Gail

Get more of these testimony stories and get to know more about   MY FELLOW AMERICAN NETWORK, Proudly visit: http://www.myfellowamerican.us/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment